First Team, Match Report

16 Jan 2022

Fired-Up Farnham Make Fleet Town Pay The Penalty

A Fine 4-0 Away Win Sees The Town Into The Top Half Of The Table.

There will be tougher tests than this – not least next Saturday’s away trip to Jersey Bulls.

However, for now, Farnham can revel in a four goal win and their first clean sheet since 02 October.

Although The Town dominated the early exchanges, both sides were guilty of making errors on a pitch that made it difficult to play good football, and, although deserved, it was, in fact, something of a relief when Farnham took the lead after 8 minutes when Olly Ryman nodded home a cross from Josh Ogunseye.

Then, after 14 minutes, came the game’s ‘Sliding Doors’ moment.

With the Fleet Town striker going away from goal, Farnham skipper Greg Haydon made a rash challenge that didn’t need to be made and gave the match officials no option other than to award The Blues a penalty and a way back into the match.

Fortunately for Farnham, the spot kick was a shocker.

Down the middle and at a convenient height for Town ‘keeper Gary Ross to make a simple save.

Granted such good fortune, Farnham made the most of it and gradually took control of the game, with striker Max Blackmore, in particular, catching the eye, leading the line and bringing his teammates into the game.

Even so, it seemed inevitable that the sides would go into half-time level, only for Fleet to concede the game’s second spot kick when their ‘keeper took out Josh Ogunseye with what looked a head high challenge.

Not everyone is a fan of the fouled player taking the penalty, but, to his credit, Josh absolutely buried it!

The second half started with The Town’s third after only two minutes.

From a Farnham corner, skipper Greg Haydon atoned for his earlier error by blasting the ball home after the Fleet keeper could only parry a header from Max Blackmore.

What then followed was a 15 minute ‘purple patch’ from Farnham during which they tore Fleet apart down both flanks, scored one when a delightful reverse pass from Max Blackmore put Josh Ogunseye through one on one for his second, and, quite frankly should have scored three or four more.

Four nil up and cruising, The Town had the luxury of being able to make substitutions and rest players ahead of next Saturday’s tougher trip to Jersey Bulls.  Understandably these affected the rhythm of the game and, in the final half hour, Farnham were content to simply see the game out – although praise should be given to Harry Carter who came on and caught the eye with a very assured performance.

In a table admittedly affected by postponements, three consecutive away wins sees The Town in the top half.

Things are certainly looking up for Farnham, on and off the pitch, and The Town will be looking to maintain their momentum up the table when they travel to promotion chasing Jersey Bulls next Saturday.

Vive la revolution!

MOTM :  Max Blackmore

The Town’s next home match is in the Cherry Red Premier Cup against Rayners Lane on Tuesday 01 February.  Kick off 7:45pm





Related News