First Team, Match Report

02 Apr 2022

Weakened Town Muscled Out By Powerful Croydon

A 4-2 Win Sees Croydon Athletic Do The Double Over Farnham.

Wearing a blue and yellow kit, selected to show solidarity with the people of Ukraine, an injury ravaged Farnham Town fought hard, but were ultimately outmuscled by a physically imposing AFC Croydon Athletic.

With so many senior players unavailable, Tony Reid is having to trust in youth, and a line up including Harrison Burke and Max Cunningham from the successful Under 18 side was always likely to be given a work out by a side that towered over them in almost every area of the pitch.

The last thing that the Town needed was to concede a early goal.

However, after just seven minutes, that’s exactly what happened, as the Farnham defence sat back, stood off, and allowed The Rams the time to work the ball across the area before giving Nahum Green the space to turn and pick his spot to give Croydon the lead.

It’s to the Town’s credit that they played their way back into the game and they were rewarded in the 27th minute when the referee gave what can only be described as a ‘soft’ penalty to Farnham, having decided that the ‘keeper had fouled Josh Ogunseye as he went to claim the ball.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, Josh took full advantage, slotting the penalty home to bring the Town level.

And it could have been even better just two minutes later!

Paul Chalobah, impressing in a more advanced role, drifted into the Croydon area to meet a cross with a crisp volley that stuck the bar, but fell perfectly for Michael Coppinger, six yards out.

It seemed as though the Town simply had to take the lead, but Coppinger miscued and the chance was lost.

The remainder of the first half saw Croydon in the ascendancy, and, although the Town would hold on until half time, The Rams re-established their lead just two minutes into the second half, when Carl Obilitey was allowed an uncontested near post header from a Croydon corner.

And yet the Town came back again in the 55th minute.

This time, Finley Warren played in Will May after another good rum by Chalobah.

It was then that luck finally deserted Farnham for good.

First of all, Croydon regained the lead in the 59th minute when a far post header from a corner came back off the bar before striking Town ‘keeper and captain Richard Ossai on the back before going over the line.

Then, as the Town pressed for their third equaliser, they were undone just three minutes from time when an inswinging free kick from the right was headed home at the far post by Croydon centre back Will Grievesen.

All in all, a disappointing day for the Town who must now aim to make the most of their final four fixtures, starting next Saturday when they take on Cobham at The Memorial Ground.

MOTM :  Paul Chalobah

The Town’s next home match is the Combined Counties league game against Cobham on Saturday 09 April.  Kick off 3:00pm

Related News