First Team, Match Report

31 Jan 2023

Match Report: Farnham Town 1 Guildford City 3

Connor Young’s Strike Is The Only Bright Spot In A Disappointing Home Defeat.

After enjoying the ‘rub of the green’ against Alton, the Town’s luck ran out against their rivals from the other end of the A31.

With just four minutes on the clock, Jamil Saleh appeared to be yards offside as he ran through before playing the ball through to teammate Cameron Gyeabour.  The crowd certainly thought so, and so did the Farnham defenders, who seemed to hesitate before allowing Gyeabour to turn inside and rifle home the opening goal.

It would take the Town the best part of twenty minutes to fashion a real chance of their own, when Kainen Oragbade created space for himself in the opposition area before forcing a sharp save from Guildford City ‘keeper Stuart Norman.

Then, on 28 minutes, the Town’s luck turned against them again when ‘keeper Connor Beattie, playing his first game for Farnham this season, suffered a nasty cut, requiring stitches, when saving bravely from the lively Gyeabour.

Three minutes later, Guildford doubled their lead when the Town’s defence simply went to sleep as Guildford worked a free kick routine from the training ground to find Scott Costello with all the time in the world to slot home past James Ferguson.

With both sides spurning second half chances, it was Farnham who finally found the net on 64 minutes, when a neat ball from substitute Jamie Hoppitt played in Connor Young who coolly finished for his ninth goal of the season.

Stirring memories of the comeback against Abbey Rangers, the goal gave immense hope to the Town’s supporters, but there would be no repeat and, in fact, it would be Guildford that would extend their lead on 72 minutes when Salah would turn provider for a second time, playing in Leon Dadley to put the match beyond the Town.

As the spectators began to file away, there was just time for Guildford to miss a last minute penalty (the second one conceded by Farnham in as many games) when Zeid Hannachi shot at a comfortable height for Ferguson to make a simple save.

A disappointing result, and one that Farnham must put behind them before they face Knaphill at the Memorial Ground next Saturday.

Wright’s Lion Brewery MOTM :  Connor Young

Huge thanks to our matchday sponsor Covers.

Despite the result, we hope that you enjoyed the afternoon and look forward to seeing you again soon.

The Town’s next home match is the Combined Counties Premier Division South league game against Knaphill on Saturday 04 February.  Kick off 3:00pm

Related News

First Team, Match Report
24 Nov 2021

The Town Keeps Cup Run Going

Farnham Beat Cove 3-1 To Reach Round Three Of The Southern Combination Cup On…